Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Viva il Papa!

Mary Shannon : I'm doing these posts one after the other because I have put them off like a bad journalist. I cannot postpone telling you about Rome; why? because it is Rome and 'all roads lead to Rome.' :)
After a long week of nestling down into our crowd-free apartment, with a number of overly watched movies, overplayed ipod playlists, and an entire book, it was time to last-minute (as you can tell, its becoming part of our theme) buy our train ticket to Rome.
To prepare for our Holy travels on the Holy weekend of Easter, Kelsi and I went to Good Friday mass at the Duomo here in Florence. It was precided over by the bishop and was a beautiful two-HOUR mass. The gospel was sung in Italian accapello by three priests-the echos over their voices rang long in the stone fortress of the tall church.
Saturday we sluggishly packed for yet another train putting us in Rome an hour and half later in the afternoon. Here we checked into our 6-person room at the Yellow hostel. We unloaded our bags and discovered after a quick search around the hallways that our bathroom and shower were actually in our room! Two doors stood next to the front door, one was the toilet, the other was a door opening into a shower! Privacy? Ha! (not to mention a 10€ deposit for a towel)! So quickly we bought 2 peroni on the way out the door to find our way to the Colloseum. Kelsi had not yet seen the inside, so I went again - it was still just as magnificent, only better weather than when mom and I went. We again were picked up by a tourist group we promised to get us in quicker than if we waited in line (?)... However, we also discovered from someone that the souvenir shops set up in the street were not bothered by police bc they're protected by the Jewish MAFIA! Also, that they make TONS of money since they can drive up the prices. The tourist groups, like the one Kelsi and I were picked up by, are protected by the Italian MAFIA! woh.
After a few quick pictures, we headed to the Roman Forums. The weather was so pleasant, a slight breeze and setting sun, walking on the streets and around ruins where Caeser and others once strolled. Wisteria grew wild over the old stones and foundations. Trees included ones that look like the trees in Tuscany-tall with few branches, wavering as if struggling to find the sun, and then crowned with a full batch of green leaves stretching wide from left to right. Thick trunked palm trees, like those in Sicily, were also abudant; I found it an odd combination. We continued to walk in this ruin valley, and up and around other sites. We walked by the Marcus Aerillius statue (Russell Crow's character in Gladiator-and I thought it was fictional), down Michaelangelo's staircase, and by the church where supposedly Jesus' birth was prophesized to the emperor.
That evening we ventured over to the Church Santa Suzzana, suggested to us by Kelsi's family friend-a nun at the Vatican- for English mass. It was another amazing mass! All of the American nuns and priests of the Vatican came here to worship for the Easter Vigil. The lights were turned off as usual, but in this old, magnificently detailed church covered in paintings, vaulted ceilings, statues, and chapels. When it was my turn to light my candle, I was sharing the flame of nun! We also watched three baptisms and five confirmations. The gospel was read in the dark by candlelight among 4 people. Not sound cheesy, but there were moments that I was so comforted by the English hymns, and comprehendable readings, and then the beauty of the church, and the acknowledgement that I was in ROME blocks from the holiest and most prestige Catholic vicinities in the world-the Vatican, I caught myself somewhat 'spiritually overwhelmed' as Kelsi would say.
The next day, without a ticket to get into the square of St. Peter's Basillica, Kelsi and I found ourselves trying to get on a crowded metro at 8am! The closer we reached the Vatican, the more packed the metro became. When we finally were released from the constraints of the underground, we fell into the streets amongst hundreds of others. When we rounded the corner, we became part of a flocking mass of thousands. And when we made it through the metal detectors and found a seat near the front of the square, at mass we became two of almost one MILLION worshippers!
Odd note: In the midst of being awe-struck with a tinge of sensory overload, walking through crowds of travellers from every nation imaginable...I hear, 'Mary Shannon!'
I most admit it came as a real shock of confusion. I turned around to see a cute little girl with short dark hair. I immediately tried to think of who I'd met on one of my many travels that would be in Rome. Couldnt place her.
'Hey Mary Shannon! Dont you remember me? I go to your school...'
I tried to think of everyone I'd met in Florence at my small school. Couldnt place her.
'I'm in class with Brandon, I know who you are!'
That's right, I am in the holiest possible place to be in the WORLD on Easter, moments away from seeing the Pope in St. Peter's Basillica, and there is a girl from the University of Arkansas who knows me from facebook! small small small world huh?
I got to see my second different pope at the age of 21 (I saw Pope John Paul II in 7th grade in St. Louis). Though, still so far away that I could not make out his face without the big screens set up, it was again 'spiritually overwhelming.' The mass was also fairly long, with the first reading in Spanish, the second in English, and the gospel in six different languages. All the hymns were in Latin, and the Pope spoke mainly in Italian. For the Papal Address, Pope Benedict walked out of the main window of St. Peter's Basillica like in all the movies. He preceeded to give his speech in Italian, and then repeated 'Christ is Risen' in at least 15 or more different languages! Then he blessed us, and waved, the mass hailed him and yelled and waved. It was...amazing.
The next morning, we took a train home.

Things I noticed for a quick weekend: Other backpackers sure have interesting stories! I had felt like I had travelled SO much until I met other people who were travellers---I have still not scratched the surface on this world.
Roomed with a guy who has his own company as a travelling photographer, taking pictures of backpackers and students throughout hostels in Europe: photohype.com.
Roomed with students from Tulsa-small world again.
Roomed with a guy who had gotten sick of California, and decided with a friend a couple of weeks ago to take off 2 weeks, come to Europe, rent a car, and just drive...
Oh yeah-quick note: Kelsi and I got a ticket from the underground police for having an expired metro ticket and were fined 50€! This little rebel will be framing her document of misbehavior on arrival home :)
I miss mashed potatoes and thick juicy home-made burgers...

love you all, miss you all
Ciao

No comments: